When was the last time you saw the sunrise on top of a volcano? On this 3 day, 2 night trek you’ll get to go swimming in alpine lakes, eat great food, and hike up a volcano to catch the sunrise. On the top of the cinder cone volcano, we can take the trail all the way down to the bottom of the crater. This is a great trip if you’re interested in scenic views and geological wonders. Total mileage for this adventure is 19.5 miles.
Day 1: Meet your guide at the Butte Lake parking area at 9 AM. Your guide will help you do one final pack check and give a helpful backpacking demonstration. Depending on your group, a quick introduction will take place before heading out to Widow Lake, a 5 mile hike from Butte Lake.
Day 2: Your guide will greet you with warm drinks and prepare your breakfast. After breakfast we will pack up camp, do some stretching and head out to Snag Lake. At Snag Lake we’ll have the chance to take a swim in the cool lake after hiking 8 miles.
Day 3: We’ll wake up early before the sunrise and your guide will have hot drinks, food and some trail snacks ready to go for the group. We’ll pack up camp and start our trek to the top of the Cinder Cone to view the sunrise and check out the views of Mt. Lassen, Mt. Shasta and Lassen park. From the Cinder Cone we will hike about 1.5 miles to our cars at Butte Lake, which brings us to a total of 6.5 miles of hiking for the day.
We include backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, pads, trekking poles, and eating utensils at NO EXTRA COST as needed. All profits from our guided trips go towards our non-profit youth summer camp program.
Note: All trips are subject to Lasting Adventures obtaining the necessary wilderness permits. Although our success rate is 98%, should we not obtain the exact trail-head, a trip of equal quality will be obtained. Should weather, fire, and/or delayed seasonal openings affect the chosen itinerary, a different itinerary will be offered. Lasting Adventures is recognized for its commitment to safety and risk management. Itineraries may be changed in order to minimize risk exposure.
*All trips are pending permit availability which we gain around mid-late February. Please refrain from making travel arrangements until we have confirmed dates.