What To Expect
Our 13 day Junior Guide Program offers youth an opportunity to explore Yosemite National Park while focusing on basic backcountry skill development and the exploration of careers in the outdoors. During their trek through the Sierras, participants gain Leave No Trace and Wilderness First Aid certifications from qualified instructors and learn the components of effective leadership from initiative and planning to execution and practice. Other topics include practical skills like shelter construction, water treatment, basic search and rescue as well as how to manage youth in an outdoor setting and more. Approximately one third of all youth participants attend the program on scholarships provided by Lasting Adventures and we work with the local Gateway communities around Yosemite to involve the local high school youth in this program.
The Lasting Adventures Junior Guide program is a one-of-a-kind Outdoor Leadership program designed for youth pursuing passions and/or careers in the Outdoor Industry. Participants will be engaged in a twelve day program in the back-country where they will be exposed to and gain knowledge and/or skills in the following areas:
- Natural History
- Cultural History
- Environmental Science
- Goal setting
- Leadership Skills and Team Building activities
- Group communication and problem solving skills
- Advanced Backpacking skills and environmental awareness
- Job awareness with other outdoor professionals
- Introduction to Search and Rescue
- Community Service
- Leave No Trace Awareness
- Wilderness First Aid Certification through the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS
- Space is limited!
- The junior guide program is open to participants ages 15-18 years old.
- After successful completion of the Junior Guide Program, we would also encourage interested individuals to inquire about Junior Guide positions at Lasting Adventures. Please understand these spaces are limited.
- Get in shape now! Working at elevation while carrying a heavy pack and hiking on strenuous trails can be tough, but this will be the basic expectation. We cannot and will not let a Junior Guide slow us down. Instead, get out and hike now. Put weight on your back, and enjoy the time outside.
- Our Sunday through Friday program begins in Tuolumne Meadows at 12pm on Sundays and ends at 12-1pm at the Half Dome Village Pizza Patio on Friday.
- Our Monday through Saturday program both begins and ends in Half Dome Village within Yosemite Valley. Drop-off is Mondays at 12pm and pick-up is on Saturdays at 12-1pm in the Half Dome Village pizza patio.
2017 SNOWPACK UPDATE: Our snowpack this winter is at 193% of normal. We anticipate a late opening for the Yosemite High Country with snow prevalent into July and beyond at higher elevations. River, creek, and waterfall flow will be at high and sometimes dangerous levels. Mosquitoes will also be extreme at periods this season. Any trips through late June and early July can be impacted and back-up itineraries will be offered when necessary.
Due to the high snowpack this year- all trips through July 3rd will meet in Half Dome Village. There will be no meeting in Tuolumne Meadows until later in July.
Scholarship Application – Every youth deserves this opportunity!
2017 Trip Specifics:
|Mon-Sat Dates:||June 19-July 1||
|Meet:||Half Dome Village, 12pm|
|Sun-Fri Dates:||July 16-28||
|Meet:||Tuolumne Meadows, 12pm|
|All Pick-Ups:||Half Dome Village Pizza, 12-1pm|